Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Call Me Crazy

I always feel a loss when I reach the end of a good book.

I am sad to let go of the friends I have come to know through the story but am thankful for what they have taught me about love and hate, fellowship and aloneness, courage and fear.

I long to continue the exploration of distant regions of the world. While I read the world shrinks; I feel closer and more connected to others.

I miss the stirrings of awareness I feel of my own existence, sensations, thoughts, and surroundings.

So go ahead; call me crazy, but it is true.

3 comments:

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

Yes! Me too! Sometimes, its almost a let down to finish a new favorite, because I get very involved when I read. Jayme refers to it as "inhaling" a book. This works out well when it is a good book, melancholy book, or only mildly disturbing. However, in the case of the Kite Runner, it was a little too much for me. I personally would have never read that book had I know how much it would affect me.

Katie said...

I totally relate! It makes me sad to come to the end of a book I love too. I become attached to the characters. They feel real. Great post.

Anonymous said...

You write so well, you should be the one writing the book. Mom E