Thursday, April 12, 2007

1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die

I am loving "librarything" (thanks, jayme!!). For those of you who don't know yet, LibraryThing is an easy to use resource that allows you to create a library-quality catalog of all your books (here is a link to my catalog). To get started, or for more information, take the tour. It would be fantastic to be able to compare one another's catalogs for books we share as well as new reads.
Some of the other perks of LibraryThing are: book recommendations, connection to people with similar libraries, and participation in book groups. I particularly like the latter; it allows me to participate in or follow book dicussions without the discomfort of social interaction (wink) and time restraints.

"1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die" is one book group that I have joined. The group got it's name from the book, "1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die", by Dr. Peter Boxall. Boxall is a lecturer in English Literature at the University of Sussex; He has published widely on twentieth and twenty-first century fiction and drama. I would love to have ya'll join with me and take the challenge of reading those 1001 books before we die (note: no time restraints :))


7 comments:

Spencer Davis said...

I have really enjoyed Library Thing and have found some good books from browsing other's lists who seem to have the same tastes in books that I have.

Here is my link for my library:
http://www.librarything.com/catalog/darth_spencer

Did you include a link to your library? I tried to find one but could not.

Chantalle said...

Spenc: thanks for your link and i just added mine to the post. i overlooked that. checking out your catalog now. how do we add one another to our "watch list"?

Jayme said...

Great post! Whats not to love about Library Thing? It lets me catalog books, share books, compare books, add books to my blog, and find books to read.

Here is the link to my library:
http://www.librarything.com/profile/guanarteme

Chantalle: To add someone to your "watch list," link to their profile, then click the "+" at the top right.

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

So, I had some extra time on my hands earkt this morning, waiting for a friend to drop her daughter off (babysitting on a Saturday good kid.) Anyway, I have officially read 6% of the list. Yep, I went through each one. I realized that I really DID read a lot of books in high school. Here are a few other thoughts:

*I think everything written by Ian Mcewan, who I have never read, was on that list.
*There was a preponderance of British authors I had never heard of
*I got some great ideas for future books to read
*There are several I'm glad I never have to read
*I don't think the Master and Margarita should be on the list. I hated it.
*Finally, the perfect book for Jayme... its called "Transit"

Thanks for posting the list Chantelle. I better get reading.

Spencer Davis said...

Katie-
What did you hate about The Master and Margarita? I finished it about 3 months ago and while I can't say that I hated it, I also can't say that I loved it. In fact, I had to struggle to even finish it. My feeling at the end was that I should give it another shot in about five years or so.

I guess I don't understand enough about Russian politics or history or religion to unerstand its satire, but I did find the parts where Satan was talking about Christ, Pilot, and Peter to be pretty interesting and a creative bit of writing.

Chantalle said...

Kate: i have read 8% of the books. let me know when you do read one off the list and what you thought; i will do the same. i have read "atonement" by mcewan and own "saturday" (on my TBR list). i really enjoyed atonement; i was grabbed by it's opening sentences. i found it to be a beautifully written and well developed. ya'll have piqued me interest in "master and margarita".

Katie said...

Library Thing sounds great. I am going to check it out :). Thanks for the great tip.