Sunday, February 4, 2007

My husband recently attended a "Baptism Fireside" with our daughter; she will be turning 8 in March. Throughout the evening, she shared the enthusiasm of her peers as they learned the privileges and responsibilities that would be their's over the next year. On the ride home her enthusiasm began to wane and turned to apprehension.

When she arrived home she questioned whether or not she should get baptized. The basis for her questioning was quite profound: if she chose to be baptized, would she never be able to wear "showing tummy" swimsuits and, on the flip-side, if she chose not to be baptized would she always have to wear "showing tummy" swimsuits. In her sweet, 7 year old mind, this was a very pressing issue.

At 35, I consider the choice I have made not to wear a "showing tummy" swimsuit a blessing -- for me, as well as for those around me. However, as I continued to ponder over our conversation I wondered what, really, was the basis for her questioning. To me it seemed that she was trying to shape the beginning of her belief system, albeit on a very simple level. It encouraged me to again consider what shape my own belief system had taken; what the motivation of my faith was.

For many years I lived a perfunctory life; I combed my hair, did the laundry, tended to my children, attended church each Sunday, said my prayers and read my scriptures. I believed I was doing "what was right". However, my primary motivator was fear. In the face of the possibility of failure, I was anxious; At times, my anxiety became so strong that I lost my sensibilities. It was easier then to act mechanically rather to think and feel. Not surprisingly, my life lacked a sense of contentment and satisfaction.

So how was I to change my spiritual motivations? I started by asking myself: What, ultimately, was my goal? My answer: To achieve immortality and eternal life.

The Savior has already made provision for part of this goal to be achieved: through the Atonement, he has brought immortality to all of God’s children here on earth (1 Cor. 15). To achieve the second part of my goal, eternal life, for me, meant re-learning how to heed the counsel of Moroni and “Come unto Christ, and be perfected in him, and deny yourselves of all ungodliness; … and love God with all your might, mind and strength" (Moro. 10:32–33).

I desired to change my fear into love. The Savior has said, “there is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear; because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.” (1 Jn. 4:18.) For this to occur it required two actions on my part: first, faith that the Lord could heal me from my weaknesses and second, to take an honest look at myself. I began by refining and solidify my testimony -- beginning with deepening my relationship with the Savior.

This continues to be an active process in my life. My hope is that as I strive to change my heart I will more frequently find joy in the achievement of my spiritual goals as I seek them because I want to rather than because I ought to.

6 comments:

Chris Blakesley 1 said...

Dear Chanty,

Your rumination on your spiritual development is poignant and lovely. As you say, if fear and superstition are one's motivators, she is heading for a crisis, or a shallow, pretend existence. On the other hand, the Savior, His atonement, and His Love provides us the way to become whole and complete through Him. It is a process, of course. That is the Gospel. We are given the light to come unto Christ and the agency to do so, straight up, honestly, and without fear. That is the Gospel. Mechanical Mormons, mechanical Catholics, mechanical athiests, Mechanical Buddhists, mechanical Hindus, mechanical Muslims, mechanical Jews, and mechanical whatever other philosophy or religion ultimately betray what they pretend to believe to be nothing but window-dressing, a sham, pretense, shibboleth, magic, or superstition. Yet, we all may, on occasion do the same. We all, like sheep, have gone astray. Hence, the need we each have for the atonement and for the agency that allows the atonement to work in our lives. (Read Isaiah Ch. 53, for example). We must love those who get mechanical, yet not accept their trivialization of the Gospel. I love you and am thrilled that you have been able to move beyond the tendency to be controled by fear. We are in a process of becoming individuals who are able to reside (in perfect solidarity with other sisters and brothers) in the Eternal Love of the Savior and His Father. That process is dependant on agency and acting on that agency. This is not possible, if we act by rote, by fear, or in an attempt to "get lucky" by stepping through the hoops. We need to do as Christ did. That is, we need to live and love, trying to be one with Him -- only possible, of course, as we become one with our brothers and sisters (and the rest of creation).

And so it goes, at least as I see it.

I love you,

Dad

Ian said...

What a great post! I love the story about your little girl and her baptism. Her question shows a real spiritual maturity for that age. I remember my biggest question before my baptism was whether getting the holy ghost meant that I would now know whenever a fire was about to start in our house.

I think we all have the tendency to let ourselves fall into a routine without thinking about why we are doing things (I actually think this can be a helpful defense mechanism sometimes, as long as we come out of it), and it is always good to be reminded that we should strive to do the right thing for the right reasons and not just to do the right thing. I think its much harder to purify our motivations than it is to purify our actions. Thanks for the reminder!

Katie said...

What wonderful insights. It encourages me to examine my own motivations. I tend to be someone who does things because I "ought" to and I lose sight of the ultimate goal. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

Chantalle said...

DAD: one of your thoughts in particular resonated w/ me. last night i was reading "the glass palace" (background (from amazon.com): Set primarily in Burma, Malaya, and India, this work spans from 1885, when the British sent the King of Burma into exile, to the present. While it does offer brief glimpses into the history of the region, it is more the tale of a family and how historical events influenced real lives. As a young boy, Rajkumar, an Indian temporarily stranded in Mandalay, finds himself caught up in the British invasion that led to the exile of Burma's last king. In the chaos, he spies Dolly, a household maid in the royal palace, for whom he develops a consuming passion and whom years later he tracks down in India and marries. As their family grows and their lives intersect with others, the tangled web of local and international politics is brought to bear, changing lives as well as nations.) Dolly (she was an ophan and as a child was "adopted" by the king and queen of burma to work as a servant; the king is an introvert and spiritualist) is thinking back over the time she spent caring for her son suffering from polio. when denu, her son, became ill the family was visiting friends...they believed what he had was no big deal until the king of burma comes to dolly in a dream and warns her to get him help. She stayed in the hospital with her son until he was well enough to leave. while there she "[finds] herself listening to voices that were inaudible during the day: the murmurs of anxious relative; distand screams of pain; women keening in bereavement. it was as though the wall turned porous in the stillness of the night, flooding her room with an unseen tide of defeat and suffering. the more she listened to the voices, the more directly they spoke to her..." it is at this point that she recalls the voice of the king; he had spent early years of his life as a novice in a monastery. she remembers a word he often used (a buddah's word) karuna which means "compassion, the immanence of all living things in each other, for the attraction of life for its likeness"; the king told the girls "you too will soon discover what this word karuna means, and from that moment on, your lives will never again be the same"

the thought from your post i was refering to above said "We are in a process of becoming individuals who are able to reside (in perfect solidarity with other sisters and brothers) in the Eternal Love of the Savior and His Father. That process is dependant on agency and acting on that agency... That is, we need to live and love, trying to be one with Him -- only possible, of course, as we become one with our brothers and sisters (and the rest of creation)." the two sentiments seemed in harmony w/ one another; it gave me pause and left me with a desire to connect more with those (and that) around me.

IAN: well said. right motivations help us do the right things and doing the right things help us find the right motivation.

KATIE: yeah...examining motivations really is a never-ending process.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

welcome to the blog-o-sphere! great postings and pictures, love the name -- very clever and artistic, just like you!

xoxoxoxox

Anastasia

Anonymous said...

Sweet Maddy! The "tummy showing" suits was a troublesome spot for me as well.
As I read your comments I was touched. I know we all go through stuggles now and then. I have never thought of where my spiritual motivation came from. I am stuck in the fear mode now. I don't want my family to fail and I want to do whats best for all. I awakened to the understanding I first need to stengthen my relationship with Heavenly Father and further ancor my testimony of the antonement. Thank you Chantalle for inspiring my understanding this sabbath morning!
I love you and miss you!
xoxox
KJ