Thursday, March 8, 2007

International Women's Day ~ March 8, 2007

Since today is International Women's Day I wanted to honor the essenstial women in my life.

First, my Mom. It was not until I matured, married and had children of my own that I began to fully appreciate the greatness of my mother. She is strong, independent and faithful. She taught me to seek for truth and to develop charity. My mom taught me the Gospel of Christ; it is the integrity and strength of her faith that has laid the foundation of my own. My mother gave me life; literally, by birth, but also by her love and belief in me which gives me the ability to be who I am.

Second, my Sister. This relationship is one of the most beautiful I have. My sister is sensitive, intelligent and funny. We grew into womanhood together, being so close in age; through college, marriage and children she has been my constant friend. I still share with her my most intimate thoughts and fears; I love to be with her and cannot go a day or two without speaking with her.

Third, my Grandmother. Although I did not live near my Grandmother, she was a constant presence in my life. My parents frequently spoke of her and I strove to be like her. To me, she was an authentic person; she lived her life honestly. When my courage or energy fails me, she is one that I turn to for strength. She was constantly pursuing knowledge. It is from her, either inherently or by example, that I gained my love of reading. This is a gift that has, and continues to, greatly enrich my life.

What effect have the women in your life had on you?

4 comments:

Spencer Davis said...

International Women's Day??? Why March 8th?

On another note, I also read Capote's In Cold Blood and really enjoyed it. Did you ever see the movie Capote? Its about Truman Capote and what he went through while writing the book. It was pretty interesting to read the book and then see the movie, especially his relationship with the killers.

Phillip Seymore Hoffman is also great as Capote, though I did enjoy him more in MI3 and Along Came Polley.

Chantalle said...

darth: march is women's history month; i've never found why march 8th was chosen, but international women's day is occasion marked by women's groups around the world; this date is also commemorated at the united nations.

is the movie you refer to the latest one on capote? i have heard that one is good. i have not seen it. i have seen both versions of "in cold blood". enjoyed both.

Chris Blakesley 1 said...

Chanty,

This is a lovely homage to Mom, Angel, and Grandma. As for me, I'd add you, my systers Anne and Cathie and Grandma Moselle to the three you listed. Y'all made and make my life complete.

Mom, Suzy, of course, truly is my soul mate and the only one in Eternity who could or would put up with me. She heals me, makes me whole, gives me life and she and I are truly one. Because of the line of women, from the beginning of time, we are all one. I love you all.

I love you,

Dad

Spencer Davis said...

Yes, it was the one that came out in 2005 and was nominated for Best Actor and if I recall correctly, Best Picture.